holiday dog

Holiday Toxins

Even though the holidays can be a happy time, pets don't always understand how toxic certain foods, plants, and decorations can be. In fact, pets that ingest poisonous items can experience everything from vomiting to death. If your pet ingests a harmful substance, a veterinarian on our veterinary team at Fort Mill Animal Hospital in Fort Mill, SC, has the training to help. Be sure to keep holiday toxins far away from your beloved pets. 

Poisonous Plants

The beauty of holiday plants can create an aesthetically pleasing environment but looks can be deceiving because many holiday plants can be toxic to your pet friend. Poisonous plants include holly, lilies, poinsettias, and more. Dogs and cats that ingest certain leaves and berries might have severe reactions such as vomiting, decreased activity, drooling, loss of appetite, and diarrhea. Poinsettias are also toxic. If your pet eats an excessive amount, the result can be extreme. A dog that consumes a poinsettia may experience drooling, vomiting, or diarrhea. If you notice clinical signs after your dog ate a toxic leaf, then you may need to seek veterinary help. If your cat eats poinsettia leaves, it might be important to contact a veterinarian in Fort Mill, SC. 

Dangerous Decorations

While holiday decorations may seem relatively harmless, they can pose a serious threat to the health of your pet. For one, the smell of potpourri can fill a room with a lovely scent but depending on how much your pet eats, potpourri can cause many problems. Besides this, playdough and salt ornaments are simple holiday decorations that you and your kids may enjoy making but the salt contained in some ornaments might cause poisoning in dogs and cats. Other unsafe decorations are ribbons, tinsel, tree lights, glass ornaments, and others. 

Toxic Table Scraps

If your pet enjoys waiting underneath the table for you to toss him some delicious table scraps, you may want to rethink doing this. For example, high-fat table scraps are rich foods that can cause upset stomach, pancreatitis, and potentially other things. Pancreatitis is a painful disease that can be life-threatening. In dogs, the symptoms might include shaking, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, fever, and restlessness. In addition, if you throw the bones from meat scraps in the trash, your dog could get to them. Sharp bones might cause severe internal injuries. 

Contact a Veterinarian in Fort Mill, SC, on Our Veterinary Team

Unsure of what to do next? A veterinarian on our veterinary team at Fort Mill Animal Hospital in Fort Mill, SC, could help. Contact us today. Call us at (803) 547-2014 for more information.

Our Location